pgbouncer setup in the architecture

From: Gabriele Lohss <gabriele(dot)lohss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgbouncer setup in the architecture
Date: 2014-08-19 09:13:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I'd like to use pgbouncer as connection pooler in our productive
environment, which consists of six master db server plus 6 slaves and many
webserver and services. For example, I'd like to use it as a central point
from where I can redirect client connections easily without changing the
code on application side. Considering performance issues should I use
pgbouncer on one central VM or put it closer to the db server? Do you have
some experiences and some hints for a good set up?

Thanks for your hints,
Regards
Gaby