Re: how to create a non-inherited CHECK constraint in CREATE TABLE

From: Nikhil Sontakke <nikkhils(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how to create a non-inherited CHECK constraint in CREATE TABLE
Date: 2012-04-19 15:25:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Are you going to submit an updated patch? I started working on your
> original a couple of days ago but got distracted by some family news
> here. I'll send it to you so that you can start from there, to avoid
> duplicate work.

Thanks Alvaro. PFA, a revised patch with the "NO INHERIT" support in the
complete sense. I also fixed up the ALTER TABLE ONLY ... CHECK semantics as
per Noah's suggestion upthread. We now allow ONLY if the table has no
children currently. The pg_dump sources have also been cleaned up now that
these constraints need not be dumped separately. So this is a good change
overall.

Have used connoinherit as the name in the catalog and Alvaro replaced
is_only references with is_no_inherit so that stays. I leave it to the
eventual committer now to pick up any more variations if desired :)

Regards,
Nikhils

Attachment Content-Type Size
check_constraint_create_table_support_no_inherit_syntax.patch application/octet-stream 41.8 KB