Distributed transactions and asynchronous commit

From: Xenofon Papadopoulos <xpapad(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Distributed transactions and asynchronous commit
Date: 2013-07-17 07:18:34
Lists: pgsql-performance

In the asynchronous commit documentation, it says:

*The commands supporting two-phase commit, such as PREPARE TRANSACTION, are
also always synchronous
*

Does this mean that all queries that are part of a distributed transaction
are synchronous?

In our databases we have extremely high disk I/O, I'm wondering if
distributed transactions may be the reason behind it.

Thanks