Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT
Date: 2014-02-04 18:00:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 8:06 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> On 02/04/2014 10:43 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>

>> Ugh. This problem was bad enough when I thought that it would only lead
>> to link-time errors detectable in the buildfarm. If it can lead to errors
>> only observable at runtime --- and maybe not obvious even then --- then
>> I think we *have to* do something about it. By that I mean that we must
>> get rid of the need to manually plaster PGDLLIMPORT on global variables.
>>
>> Anybody with a Windows build environment want to test the "#define extern"
>> trick?
>>

> We have details on how to build with Mingw/Msys on Windows on an Amazon VM
> <http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Building_With_MinGW> which is either
> free or very cheap. Do I need to give instructions on how to do this for
> MSVC builds too? It's really not terribly hard.

If you gave step by step instructions like the ones for MinGW, I would at
least give it a try. Last time a looked into it, I gave up after I
couldn't figure out which of the umpteen similarly-named products was the
one I needed to buy/download-for-free/register-and-download and then
install, and I tried a few of them at random without much success.

Cheers,

Jeff