Re: pg_rewarm status

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Amiel <becauseimjeff(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_rewarm status
Date: 2013-12-16 18:34:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Jeff Amiel <becauseimjeff(at)yahoo(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > Trying to follow the threads and other references - but I can't
> determine where this patch ended up.
> > (
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+TgmobRrRxCO+t6gcQrw_dJw+Uf9ZEdwf9beJnu+RB5TEBjEw@mail.gmail.com
> )
>
> Well, the patch was rejected, more or less because people felt it
> overlapped with pgfincore too much. I don't particularly agree,
> because pgfincore can't load data into shared buffers and doesn't work
> on Windows, but other people felt differently. There was talk of
> polishing up pgfincore for possible inclusion in contrib, perhaps
> adding this functionality along the way, but AFAIK there's been no
> activity on that.

It wasn't rejected, it was returned with feedback with generally positive
reviews. I think the main feedback was that it should provide a
single-argument overloaded function that takes just the object name and
applies reasonable defaults for the remaining arguments, for example
'main', 'buffer',NULL,NULL. I had thought that the worry about overlap
with pgfincore was mostly resolved favorably, but perhaps I misread the
situation.

I'd like to see it revived for 9.4 if you are willing.

Cheers,

Jeff