Re: Standalone synchronous master

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Rajeev rastogi <rajeev(dot)rastogi(at)huawei(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Standalone synchronous master
Date: 2014-01-10 22:47:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 2:33 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>wrote:

> On 2014-01-10 14:29:58 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > db02 goes down. It doesn't matter why. It is down. db01 continues to
> accept
> > orders, allow people to log into the website and we can still service
> > accounts. The continuity of service continues.
>
> Why is that configuration advantageous over a async configuration is the
> question.

Because it is orders of magnitude less likely to lose transactions that
were reported to have been committed. A permanent failure of the master is
almost guaranteed to lose transactions with async. With auto-degrade, a
permanent failure of the master only loses reported-committed transactions
if it co-occurs with a temporary failure of the replica or the network,
lasting longer than the time out period.

Why, with those requirements, are you using a synchronous
> standby at all?

They aren't using synchronous standby, they are using asynchronous standby
because we fail to provide the choice they prefer, which is a compromise
between the two.

Cheers,

Jeff