Re: pgcrypto: PGP armor headers

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgcrypto: PGP armor headers
Date: 2014-09-03 17:16:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 1:55 AM, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 8/8/14 3:18 PM, I wrote:
>
>> Currently there's no way to generate or extract armor headers from the
>> PGP armored format in pgcrypto. I've written a patch to add the
>> support.
>>

> Latest version of the patch here, having fixed some small coding issues.

I've built this and tested the installation of the extension, the upgrade
from earlier versions, and the basic functions, with and without
--enable-cassert

I did occasionally get some failures with 'make check -C contrib/pgcrypto',
but I can't reproduce it. I might have accidentally had some mixture of
binaries some with cassert and some without.

No other problems to report.

I didn't do a detailed code review, and I am not a security expert, so I
will leave it to the signed-up reviewer to change the status once he takes
a look.

One quibble in the documentation, "an error is returned". Errors get
raised, not returned.

This patch will conflict with the pgp signature patch due to
the pgcrypto--1.2.sql and kin.

Cheers,

Jeff