Re: danger of stats_temp_directory = /dev/shm

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: danger of stats_temp_directory = /dev/shm
Date: 2013-08-14 04:00:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday, August 13, 2013, Josh Berkus wrote:

> On 08/13/2013 09:57 AM, Jeff Janes wrote:
> > Is this a blocker for 9.3?
>
> Why would it be? This issue doesn't originate with 9.3.

Before 9.3, it would delete one specific file from a potentially shared
directory. In 9.3 it deletes the entire contents of a potentially shared
directory. That is a massive expansion in the surface area for
unintentional deletion. If we will disallow using shared directories
before the time 9.3 is released, that would fix it one way, but I don't
know if that is the plan or not.

Cheers,

Jeff