Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Ian Barwick <ian(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Subject: Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date: 2014-11-19 18:33:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
> Those are all very terse strings. What you're overlooking is what is
> broken by using straight Levenshtein distance, which includes things
> in the regression test that are reasonable and helpful. As I mentioned
> before, requiring a greater than 50% of total string size distance
> breaks this, just within the regression tests:

Maybe you'd prefer if there was a more gradual ramp-up to requiring a
distance of no greater than 50% of the string size (normalized to take
account of my non-default costings). Right now it's a step function of
the number of characters in the string - there is no "absolute
quality" requirement for strings of 6 or fewer requirements.
Otherwise, there is the 50% distance absolute quality test (the test
that you want to be applied generally). I think that would be better,
without being much more complicated.

--
Peter Geoghegan