Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Mlodgenski <jimmy76(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API
Date: 2014-05-09 02:39:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> Of course, things will change when we are able to parallelize joins
> across multiple CPUs ourselves.. In a way, the PGStrom approach gets to
> "cheat" us today, since it can parallelize the work where core can't and
> that ends up not being an entirely fair comparison.

I was thinking of SIMD, along similar lines. We might be able to cheat
our way out of having to solve some of the difficult problems of
parallelism that way. For example, if you can build a SIMD-friendly
bitonic mergesort, and combine that with poor man's normalized keys,
that could make merge joins on text faster. That's pure speculation,
but it seems like an interesting possibility.

--
Peter Geoghegan