Re: nodes/*funcs.c inconsistencies

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: nodes/*funcs.c inconsistencies
Date: 2015-08-02 22:18:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 3:07 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm surprised that this stuff was only ever used for logical decoding
> infrastructure so far.

On second thought, having tried it, one reason is that that breaks
things that are considered legitimate for historical reasons. For
example, AttrNumber is often used with READ_INT_FIELD(), which is an
int16. Whether or not it's worth fixing that by introducing a
READ_ATTRNUM_FIELD() (and so on) is not obvious to me.

--
Peter Geoghegan