Re: Extended Prefetching using Asynchronous IO - proposal and patch

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: John Lumby <johnlumby(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Extended Prefetching using Asynchronous IO - proposal and patch
Date: 2014-05-28 21:51:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 3:17 PM, John Lumby <johnlumby(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Below I am pasting the README we have written for this new functionality
> which mentions some of the measurements, advantages (and disadvantages)
> and we welcome all and any comments on this.

I think that this is likely to be a useful area to work on, but I
wonder: can you suggest a useful test-case or benchmark to show the
advantages of the patch you posted? You mention a testcase already,
but it's a little short on details. I think it's always a good idea to
start with that when pursuing a performance feature.

Have you thought about things like specialized prefetching for nested
loop joins?

--
Peter Geoghegan