Re: Promise index tuples for UPSERT

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Promise index tuples for UPSERT
Date: 2014-10-03 21:17:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 3:54 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
> Simon's approach would actually pass that test case just fine. It inserts
> the (promise) index tuple first, and heap tuple only after that. It will
> fail the test case with more than one unique index, however.

Oh, I see. Still, I don't think you need to UPDATE a
uniquely-constrained attribute - even if updating constrained
attributes is rare (dubious), non-HOT updates will have the same
effect, no? I still think that's unacceptable.

In any case, I still don't see what this buys us over the other two
designs. What's the pay-off for giving up on the general avoidance of
unprincipled deadlocks?

--
Peter Geoghegan