Re: Archive recovery won't be completed on some situation.

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Archive recovery won't be completed on some situation.
Date: 2014-03-14 11:24:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thank you.

2014/03/14 19:42 "Heikki Linnakangas" <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>:

> On 03/14/2014 12:32 PM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
>>
>> Restarting server with archive recovery fails as following just
>> after it was killed with SIGKILL after pg_start_backup and some
>> wal writes but before pg_stop_backup.
>>
>> | FATAL: WAL ends before end of online backup
>> | HINT: Online backup started with pg_start_backup() must be
>> | ended with pg_stop_backup(), and all WAL up to that point must
>> | be available at recovery.
>>
>> What the mess is once entering this situation, I could find no
>> formal operation to exit from it.
>>

> If you kill the server while a backup is in progress, the backup is
broken. It's correct that the server refuses to start up from the broken
backup. So basically, don't do that.

Hmm.. What I did is simplly restarting server just after a crash but the
server was accidentially in backup mode. No backup copy is used. Basically,
the server is in the same situation with the simple restart after crash.
The difference here is the restarting made the database completly useless
while it had been not. I wish to save the database for the case and I
suppose it so acceptable.

regards,
--
Kyotaro Horiguchi