Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Subject: Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date: 2014-04-02 20:08:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Normally I'm not for adding gucs that just gate new features. But I think a
simple guc to turn this on or off would be fine and alleviate any concerns.
I think users would appreciate it quite a lot

It would even have a positive effect of helping raise awareness of the
feature. I often scan the list of config options to get an idea of new
features when I'm installing new software or upgrading.

--
greg