Re: stats for network traffic WIP

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Nigel Heron <nheron(at)querymetrics(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: stats for network traffic WIP
Date: 2013-11-08 01:21:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 5:14 AM, Nigel Heron <nheron(at)querymetrics(dot)com>wrote:

> - can be used to find misbehaving connections.
> - can be used in multi-user/multi-database clusters for resource usage
> tracking.
> - competing databases have such metrics.

The most interesting thing that I could see calculating from these stats
would require also knowing how much time was spent waiting on writes and
reads on the network. With the cumulative time spent as well as the count
of syscalls you can calculate the average latency over any time period
between two snapshots. However that would involve adding two gettimeofday
calls which would be quite likely to cause a noticeable impact on some
architectures. Unless there's already a pair of gettimeofday calls you can
piggy back onto?

--
greg