Re: Building on S390

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, postgres-xc-developers(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net
Subject: Re: Building on S390
Date: 2013-11-22 23:32:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 8:51 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> On 11/22/13, 12:41 PM, Michael Meskes wrote:
> > Checking the Debian logs it appears that all calls use *both* which
> seems to do
> > the right thing. And yes, it appears there is a change in XC that makes
> it
> > break. But still, I would think there has to be a correct set of options.
>
> According to the Debian build logs, postgres-xc compiles the entire
> backend with -fPIC. Not sure what sense that makes.

Debian policy is to always use -fPIC

IIRC -fpic is good enough as long as the total size of the library is below
some limit. I'm not sure precisely what this size is that has to be below
the limit but if I recall correctly it's something you have no way to
determine in advance for a general purpose library. So Debian decided long
long ago to just use -fPIC always.

--
greg