Re: Installing different PostgreSQL versions in parallel

From: raghu ram <raghuchennuru(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rafael Ostertag <raos(at)opencsw(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing different PostgreSQL versions in parallel
Date: 2011-12-07 04:30:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 12:13 AM, Rafael Ostertag <raos(at)opencsw(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi list
>
> I'm in the course of creating PostgreSQL packages for Solaris. One of the
> requirement is to install different PostgreSQL versions in parallel, the
> other
> is to have all the libraries stuffed in one place.
>
> Now, if I install, let's say, pgsql 8.3 and 8.4 in parallel and all
> libraries
> go to /opt/csw/lib, I end up with:
>
> $ ls -l /opt/csw/lib/libpq*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root libpq.so -> libpq.so.5.2
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root libpq.so.5 -> libpq.so.5.2
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root bin libpq.so.5.1
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root bin libpq.so.5.2
>
> Which in turn leads to 8.3 binaries loading libpq.so.5.2, effectively
> mixing
> 8.3 binaries with 8.4 libraries.
>
> Finally, the question: How bad is it having a pgsql binary version X.Y
> using a
> library X.Z?

To overcome this issues,use "--prefix=PREFIX " option while running
"configure",so that PostgreSQL 8.3 version related directories [i.e
bin,include,lib,share] will store in preferred PREFIX location.

Ex: ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql83
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql84

Once completion of PostgreSQL installation,you will see
"bin,include,lib,share" directories are created under the
/usr/local/pgsql83 location.

--Raghu Ram