Re: [GENERAL] ODBC constructs

From: Dev Kumkar <devdas(dot)kumkar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Atri Sharma <atri(dot)jiit(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] ODBC constructs
Date: 2013-05-21 18:58:48
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-odbc

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <
hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:

> libpq is generally-speaking better than psqlodbc. The advantage of ODBC is
> that if you have a suitable driver, you can connect to other DBMS' as well,
> while libpq will only work with PostgreSQL. Unless you need such
> portability, go with libpq.

Thanks everyone for sharing comments, really useful ones. Yes the
requirement is not connecting to other DBMS but only Postgres and libpq is
the correct way so far from comments here. Regarding libpq performance
wanted to discuss about connection polling like pgpool but I think a
separate post of performance will make sense.

So, coming back to the original question actually I am exploring on both
fronts here - libpq and psqlODBC.
Just one thought here, there is an existing ODBC business logic code which
is talking to sybase database and now same code need to be ported to talk
to postgres, then in this case will the use of psqlODBC quick way?
Otherwise porting of ODBC business logic to libpq constructs needs to be
done.

Regards...