Re: Adding CORRESPONDING to Set Operations

From: Kerem Kat <keremkat(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding CORRESPONDING to Set Operations
Date: 2011-09-22 14:03:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I delved into the code without waiting for comments from the list just to
learn something about postgresql internals. And I have finished the
CORRESPONDING, now CORRESPONDING BY is being tested. I will also write
documentation and regression tests.

Yes Robert, you are correct. Having used SQL 20nn standard draft as a guide,
a brief explanation can be provided as such:

Shorter version: column name lists are intersected.
Short version: In the set operation queries, which are queries containing
INTERSECT, EXCEPT or UNION, a CORRESPONDING clause can be used to project
the resulting columns to only columns contained in both sides of the query.
There is also and addition of BY(col1, col2, ...) to the clause which
projects the columns to its own list. An example query would clarifiy.

SELECT 1 a, 2 b UNION CORRESPONDING SELECT 3 a;
1
3

SELECT 1 a, 2 b, 3 c UNION CORRESPONDING BY(a, c) SELECT 4 a, 5 c
a c
------
1 3
4 5