Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Artur Litwinowicz <admin(at)ybka(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database
Date: 2012-03-07 20:39:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> The stored procedure route sounds attractive but its a long way off
> and doesn't address all of the states needs people have voiced. I'm
> not against doing both, I just want to do the quickest and easiest.

sure, I get that, especially in regards to procedures. a server
ticker though is a pretty small thing and it's fair to ask if maybe
that should be exposed instead of (or perhaps in addition to) a job
scheduling system.

a userland scheduling system has some advantages -- for example it
could be pulled in as an extension. it would have a very different
feel though since it would be participatory scheduling. i guess it
really depends on who's writing it and what the objective is (if
anyone is willing to rewrite cron into the postmaster, by all
means...)

merlin