Re: In-Memory Columnar Store

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: knizhnik <knizhnik(at)garret(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: In-Memory Columnar Store
Date: 2013-12-11 14:33:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM, knizhnik <knizhnik(at)garret(dot)ru> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I want to annouce my implementation of In-Memory Columnar Store extension
> for PostgreSQL:
>
> Documentation: http://www.garret.ru/imcs/user_guide.html
> Sources: http://www.garret.ru/imcs-1.01.tar.gz
>
> Any feedbacks, bug reports and suggestions are welcome.
>
> Vertical representation of data is stored in PostgreSQL shared memory.
> This is why it is important to be able to utilize all available physical
> memory.
> Now servers with Tb or more RAM are not something exotic, especially in
> financial world.
> But there is limitation in Linux with standard 4kb pages for maximal size
> of mapped memory segment: 256Gb.
> It is possible to overcome this limitation either by creating multiple
> segments - but it requires too much changes in PostgreSQL memory manager.
> Or just set MAP_HUGETLB flag (assuming that huge pages were allocated in the
> system).
>
> I found several messages related with MAP_HUGETLB flag, the most recent one
> was from 21 of November:
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20131125032920.GA23793@toroid.org
>
> I wonder what is the current status of this patch?

I looked over your extension. I think it's a pretty amazing example
of the postgres extension and type systems -- up there with postgis.
Very well done. How long did this take you to write?

MAP_HUGETLB patch was marked 'returned with feedback'.
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=1308. It seems
likely to be revived, perhaps in time for 9.4.

Honestly, I think your efforts here provide more argument for adding
huge tbl support.

merlin