Re: jsonb and nested hstore

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date: 2014-01-29 20:46:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
> Only change in functionality is the addition of casts between jsonb and
> json.
>
> The other changes are the merge with the new json functions code, and
> rearrangement of the docs changes to make them less ugly. Essentially I
> moved the indexterm tags right out of the table as is done in some other
> parts pf the docs. That makes the entry tags much clearer to read.

I think the opening paragraphs contrasting json/jsonb be needs
refinement. json is going to be slightly faster than jsonb for input
*and* output. For example, in one application I store fairly large
json objects containing pre-compiled static polygon data that is
simply flipped up to google maps. This case will likely be pessimal
for jsonb. For the next paragaph, I'd like to expand it a bit on
'specialized needs' and boil it down to specific uses cases.
Basically, json will likely be more compact in most cases and slightly
faster for input/output; jsonb would be preferred in any context
where processing, or searching or extensive server side parsing is
employed.

If you agree, I'd be happy to do that...

merlin