Re: PSQL return coder

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: James Sewell <james(dot)sewell(at)lisasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PSQL return coder
Date: 2013-10-10 13:25:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 1:52 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> James Sewell <james(dot)sewell(at)lisasoft(dot)com> writes:
>> My question is in a rollback scenario is it possible to get PSQL to return
>> a non 0 exit status?
>
> Maybe you could use -c instead of -f?
>
> $ psql -c 'select 1; select 1/0' regression
> ERROR: division by zero
> $ echo $?
> 1
>
> You won't need explicit BEGIN/END because this is already a single
> transaction.

According to the man page,
"EXIT STATUS
psql returns 0 to the shell if it finished normally, 1 if a fatal error
of its own (out of memory, file not found) occurs, 2 if the connection
to the server went bad and the session was not interactive, and 3 if an
error occurred in a script and the variable ON_ERROR_STOP was set."

So for a longer script ON_ERROR_STOP might be the ticket (which is
usually a good idea anyways).

merlin