Re: PostgreSQL 9.2.4 + CentOS 6.5 64 bit - segfault error in initdb

From: Bhushan Pathak <bhushan(dot)pathak02(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 9.2.4 + CentOS 6.5 64 bit - segfault error in initdb
Date: 2014-06-09 08:53:40
Lists: pgsql-general

I do not have any earlier versions of postgres installed, neither a
parallel instance running. In the pgstartup.log file, only the segfault
error is recorded, nothing else.

I have downloaded the following RPMs from
http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-5.6-x86_64/

postgresql92-9.2.4-1PGDG.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
postgresql92-libs-9.2.4-1PGDG.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
postgresql92-contrib-9.2.4-1PGDG.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
postgresql92-server-9.2.4-1PGDG.rhel5.x86_64.rpm

A core file was not generated. I will try with adding the ulimit command to
the service script. Attached is the service script.

Thanks
Bhushan Pathak

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 8:09 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> FWIW, I'd expect any such core to be generated either in postgres'
> home directory or the $PGDATA directory, depending on what is
> failing when. If you don't see a core, it's likely because the failing
> program is running under "ulimit -c 0", which is the default environment
> for daemons (for security reasons). Try adding "ulimit -c unlimited"
> to the start script and/or the postgres user's ~/.bash_profile to see
> if you can get a core file for debugging.
>
> The issue seems like it must trace back to some difference in the
> normal shell environment of the postgres user versus the environment
> set up by "service" ... but it's not clear yet what that difference
> is.
>
> Also, it's not very clear whether you're trying to use the Red Hat/CentOS
> packaging of PG, or the PGDG packaging. As Adrian alluded to, those are
> not terribly compatible --- if you've got fragments of both laying about,
> that could be causing issues.
>
> regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
postgresql-9.2 application/octet-stream 9.1 KB