odd behavior in materialized view

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: odd behavior in materialized view
Date: 2013-03-04 21:45:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

When I accessed the materialized view in the standby server,
I got the following ERROR message. Looks odd to me. Is this a bug?

ERROR: materialized view "hogeview" has not been populated
HINT: Use the REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW command.

The procedure to reproduce this error message is:

In the master server:
CREATE TABLE hoge (i int);
INSERT INTO hoge VALUES (generate_series(1,100));
CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW hogeview AS SELECT * FROM hoge;
DELETE FROM hoge;
REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW hogeview;
SELECT count(*) FROM hogeview;

In the standby server
SELECT count(*) FROM hogeview;

SELECT count(*) goes well in the master, and expectedly returns 0.
OTOH, in the standby, it emits the error message.

Fujii Masao