Re: Online base backup from the hot-standby

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jun Ishiduka <ishizuka(dot)jun(at)po(dot)ntts(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: ssinger_pg(at)sympatico(dot)ca, simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, magnus(at)hagander(dot)net, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com, heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Subject: Re: Online base backup from the hot-standby
Date: 2011-10-12 07:53:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2011/10/12 Jun Ishiduka <ishizuka(dot)jun(at)po(dot)ntts(dot)co(dot)jp>:
> > ERROR: full_page_writes on master is set invalid at least once since
> > latest checkpoint
> >
> > I think this error should be rewritten as
> > ERROR: full_page_writes on master has been off at some point since
> > latest checkpoint
> >
> > We should be using 'off' instead of 'invalid' since that is what is what
> > the user sets it to.
>
> Sure.

What about the following message? It sounds more precise to me.

ERROR: WAL generated with full_page_writes=off was replayed since last
restartpoint

> I updated to patch corresponded above-comments.

Thanks for updating the patch! Here are the comments:

* don't yet have the insert lock, forcePageWrites could change under us,
* but we'll recheck it once we have the lock.
*/
- doPageWrites = fullPageWrites || Insert->forcePageWrites;
+ doPageWrites = Insert->fullPageWrites || Insert->forcePageWrites;

The source comment needs to be modified.

* just turned off, we could recompute the record without full pages, but
* we choose not to bother.)
*/
- if (Insert->forcePageWrites && !doPageWrites)
+ if ((Insert->fullPageWrites || Insert->forcePageWrites) && !doPageWrites)

Same as above.

+ LWLockAcquire(WALInsertLock, LW_EXCLUSIVE);
+ XLogCtl->Insert.fullPageWrites = fullPageWrites;
+ LWLockRelease(WALInsertLock);

I don't think WALInsertLock needs to be hold here because there is no
concurrently running process which can access Insert.fullPageWrites.
For example, Insert->currpos and Insert->LogwrtResult are also changed
without the lock there.

The source comment of XLogReportParameters() needs to be modified.

XLogReportParameters() should skip writing WAL if full_page_writes has not been
changed by SIGHUP.

XLogReportParameters() should skip updating pg_control if any parameter related
to hot standby has not been changed.

+ if (!fpw_manager)
+ {
+ LWLockAcquire(WALInsertLock, LW_EXCLUSIVE);
+ fpw = XLogCtl->Insert.fullPageWrites;
+ LWLockRelease(WALInsertLock);

It's safe to take WALInsertLock with shared mode here.

In checkpoint, XLogReportParameters() is called only when wal_level is
hot_standby.
OTOH, in walwriter, it's always called even when wal_level is not hot_standby.
Can't we skip calling XLogReportParameters() whenever wal_level is not
hot_standby?

In do_pg_start_backup() and do_pg_stop_backup(), the spinlock must be held to
see XLogCtl->lastFpwDisabledLSN.

+ /* check whether the master's FPW is 'off' since pg_start_backup. */
+ if (recovery_in_progress && XLByteLE(startpoint, XLogCtl->lastFpwDisabledLSN))
+ ereport(ERROR,
+ (errcode(ERRCODE_OBJECT_NOT_IN_PREREQUISITE_STATE),
+ errmsg("full_page_writes on master has been off at some point
during online backup")));

What about changing the error message to:
ERROR: WAL generated with full_page_writes=off was replayed during online backup

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center