Re: pg_receivexlog --status-interval add fsync feedback

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: furuyao(at)pm(dot)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, teranishih(at)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp
Subject: Re: pg_receivexlog --status-interval add fsync feedback
Date: 2014-08-12 10:13:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 6:19 PM, <furuyao(at)pm(dot)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This patch is to add setting to send status packets after fsync to --status-interval of pg_receivexlog.
>
> If -1 is specified to --status-interval, status packets is sent as soon as after fsync.

I don't think that it's good idea to control that behavior by using
--status-interval. I'm sure that there are some users who both want
that behavior and want set the maximum interval between a feedback
is sent back to the server because these settings are available in
walreceiver. But your version of --status-interval doesn't allow those
settings at all. That is, if set to -1, the maximum interval between
each feedback cannot be set. OTOH, if set to the positive number,
feedback-as-soon-as-fsync behavior cannot be enabled. Therefore,
I'm thinking that it's better to introduce new separate option for that
behavior.

Fujii Masao