Re: Relation cache invalidation on replica

From: Victor Yegorov <vyegorov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Relation cache invalidation on replica
Date: 2017-03-13 06:22:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> We have various proposals for fixing this, so on consideration here's what
> I think we should do...
>
> 1. Ignore my first patch to always set an xid. Andres thought that this
> may break something else could be true, so is not worth the risk.
>
> 2. Apply Konstantin's patch to fix this situation for the specific case
> only.
>
> 3. Take Andres' idea and build that in as protection. We currently check
> that nrels != 0 and throw an ERROR. We should do the same thing if there is
> an invalidation event, so that we catch errors not just ignore them and
> issue the commit anyway. This will check that there are no other cases in
> other code.

I have come across this old thread.

I think we're hitting this particular issue quite frequently when
rebuilding indexes on master after big-volume data manipulations.

We have `pgbouncer` in transaction mode for both, master and slave,
therefore it's quite typical to have sessions on slave, that
were using indexes before those we're re-created. Sad, but right now
maintenance is a big performance hit for our applications,
we have to re-connect them to start using indexes again.

Are there any chances to get fix for this issue released in 10.0 and,
perhaps, backpatched also?

--
Victor Yegorov