Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance

From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, James Bottomley <James(dot)Bottomley(at)hansenpartnership(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "lsf-pc(at)lists(dot)linux-foundation(dot)org" <lsf-pc(at)lists(dot)linux-foundation(dot)org>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Chinner <david(at)fromorbit(dot)com>, Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Mel Gorman <mgorman(at)suse(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Trond Myklebust <trondmy(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance
Date: 2014-01-15 17:06:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
>> And there's a nice bingo. Had forgotten about KSM. KSM could help lots.
>>
>> I could try to see of madvising shared_buffers as mergeable helps. But
>> this should be an automatic case of KSM - ie, when reading into a
>> page-aligned address, the kernel should summarily apply KSM-style
>> sharing without hinting. The current madvise interface puts the burden
>> of figuring out what duplicates what on the kernel, but postgres
>> already knows.
>
> I'm certainly curious as to if KSM could help here, but on Ubuntu 12.04
> with 3.5.0-23-generic, it's not doing anything with just PG running.
> The page here: http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/KSM seems to indicate why:
>
> ----
> KSM is a memory-saving de-duplication feature, that merges anonymous
> (private) pages (not pagecache ones).
> ----
>
> Looks like it won't merge between pagecache and private/application
> memory? Or is it just that we're not madvise()'ing the shared buffers
> region? I'd be happy to test doing that, if there's a chance it'll
> actually work..

Yes, it's onlyl *intended* for merging private memory.

But, still, the implementation is very similar to what postgres needs:
sharing a physical page for two distinct logical pages, efficiently,
with efficient copy-on-write.

So it'd be just a matter of removing that limitation regarding page
cache and shared pages.

If you asked me, I'd implement it as copy-on-write on the page cache
(not the user page). That ought to be low-overhead.