Re: Proposal: Incremental Backup

From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: desmodemone <desmodemone(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Marco Nenciarini <marco(dot)nenciarini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Incremental Backup
Date: 2014-07-31 20:13:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 5:26 AM, desmodemone <desmodemone(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> b) yes the backends need to update the map, but it's in memory, and as I
> show, could be very small if we you chunk of blocks.If we not compress the
> map, I not think could be a bottleneck.

If it's in memory, it's not crash-safe. For something aimed at
backups, I think crash safety is a requirement. So it's at least one
extra I/O per commit, maybe less if many can be coalesced at
checkpoints, but I wouldn't count on it too much, because worst cases
are easy to come by (sparse enough updates).

I think this could be pegged on WAL replay / checkpoint stuff alone,
so it would be very asynchronous, but not free.