Re: [9.4 CF 1] The Commitfest Slacker List

From: Szymon Guz <mabewlun(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, maciej(dot)gajewski0(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: [9.4 CF 1] The Commitfest Slacker List
Date: 2013-06-24 18:48:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm just wondering about newbies...

I've created my first patch, so I'm one of them, I think.

I've reviewed some patches, but only some easier ones, like pure regression
tests. Unfortunately my knowledge is not enough to review patches making
very deep internal changes, or some efficiency tweaks. I'm not sure if
those patches should be reviewed by newbies like me, as I just don't know
what is good and what is bad, even if a patch looks OK for me. What's the
use of my review, if I don't understand the internals enough, I can apply
the patch, run tests, look inside and I'm sure I won't find any problems?

Maybe this is the reason why there are not so many reviewers?

I'm not sure if such a strict policy will bring anything good. If newbies
won't be able to review patches, they won't be committing simple patches,
as they won't be able to review others.

If this policy will be so strict, I will spend huge amount of time to
understand the whole Postgres code before sending my next patch, as most
probably I will have problems with making the reviews.

Szymon