Re: postgres_fdw behaves oddly

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres_fdw behaves oddly
Date: 2014-11-19 05:58:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp
> wrote:

> (2014/11/18 18:27), Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 1:50 PM, Etsuro Fujita
>> <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp <mailto:fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>> wrote:
>> (2014/11/17 19:36), Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
>>

> Here are my comments about the patch fscan_reltargetlist.patch
>>

> 2. Instead of using rel->reltargetlist, we should use the tlist
>> passed
>> by caller. This is the tlist expected from the Plan node. For
>> foreign
>> scans it will be same as rel->reltargetlist. Using tlist would
>> make the
>> function consistent with create_*scan_plan functions.
>>

> I disagree with that for the reasons mentioned below:
>>
>> * For a foreign scan, tlist is *not* necessarily the same as
>> rel->reltargetlist (ie, there is a case where tlist contains all
>> user attributes while rel->reltargetlist contains only attributes
>> actually needed by the query). In such a case it'd be inefficient
>> to use tlist rather than rel->reltargetlist.
>>

> create_foreignscan_plan() is called from create_scan_plan(), which
>> passes the tlist. The later uses function use_physical_tlist() to decide
>> which targetlist should be used (physical or actual). As per code below
>> in this function
>>
>> 485 /*
>> 486 * We can do this for real relation scans, subquery scans,
>> function scans,
>> 487 * values scans, and CTE scans (but not for, eg, joins).
>> 488 */
>> 489 if (rel->rtekind != RTE_RELATION &&
>> 490 rel->rtekind != RTE_SUBQUERY &&
>> 491 rel->rtekind != RTE_FUNCTION &&
>> 492 rel->rtekind != RTE_VALUES &&
>> 493 rel->rtekind != RTE_CTE)
>> 494 return false;
>> 495
>> 496 /*
>> 497 * Can't do it with inheritance cases either (mainly because
>> Append
>> 498 * doesn't project).
>> 499 */
>> 500 if (rel->reloptkind != RELOPT_BASEREL)
>> 501 return false;
>>
>> For foreign tables as well as the tables under inheritance hierarchy it
>> uses the actual targetlist, which contains only the required columns IOW
>> rel->reltargetlist (see build_path_tlist()) with nested loop parameters
>> substituted. So, it never included unnecessary columns in the
>> targetlist.
>>

> Maybe I'm missing something, but I think you are overlooking the case for
> foreign tables that are *not* under an inheritance hierarchy. (Note that
> the rtekind for foreign tables is RTE_RELATION.)

Ah! you are right. I confused between rtekind and relkind. Sorry for that.
May be we should modify use_physical_tlist() to return false in case of
RELKIND_FOREIGN_TABLE, so that we can use tlist in
create_foreignscan_plan(). I do not see any create_*_plan() function using
reltargetlist directly.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat