Re: In-Memory Columnar Store

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: knizhnik <knizhnik(at)garret(dot)ru>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: In-Memory Columnar Store
Date: 2013-12-12 07:42:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

it is interesting idea. For me, a significant information from comparation,
so we do some significantly wrong. Memory engine should be faster
naturally, but I don't tkink it can be 1000x.

Yesterday we did a some tests, that shows so for large tables (5G)a our
hashing is not effective. Disabling hash join and using merge join
increased speed 2x
Dne 9. 12. 2013 20:41 "knizhnik" <knizhnik(at)garret(dot)ru> napsal(a):

> Hello!
>
> I want to annouce my implementation of In-Memory Columnar Store extension
for PostgreSQL:

> Documentation: http://www.garret.ru/imcs/user_guide.html
> Sources: http://www.garret.ru/imcs-1.01.tar.gz
>
> Any feedbacks, bug reports and suggestions are welcome.
>
> Vertical representation of data is stored in PostgreSQL shared memory.
> This is why it is important to be able to utilize all available physical
memory.
> Now servers with Tb or more RAM are not something exotic, especially in
financial world.
> But there is limitation in Linux with standard 4kb pages for maximal
size of mapped memory segment: 256Gb.
> It is possible to overcome this limitation either by creating multiple
segments - but it requires too much changes in PostgreSQL memory manager.