review: ALTER ROLE ALL SET

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: review: ALTER ROLE ALL SET
Date: 2013-02-13 07:38:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

this review is related to Peter' proposal
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/50F55F5A.3050207@gmx.net

This patch is relatively simple - just introduce necessary interface
to existent functionality.

1) a proposal was accepted with significant agreement - there was only
one disagreement

"> Thoughts?

In this approach, we cannot change the settings in the standby?
If yes, I don't like this approach.

Fujii Masao"

This functionality is not new, and we have not to solve hot-standby
necessary - or we can solve possible issues in separate task.

2) This patch was applied cleanly and compilation was without errors
and warnings
3) regress tests

=======================
All 135 tests passed.
=======================

4) I checked functionality without unexpected issues

5) Open question

* I think so doc is not fully correct

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFj8pRBf6suKewDCiXiGy=NeYY_Ns9CAZemomvRYsAQ=UpLzNA@mail.gmail.com

* syntax

when I try some variants I got not user friendly error message

postgres=# alter role set work_mem = '1MB';
ERROR: unrecognized role option "work_mem"
LINE 1: alter role set work_mem = '1MB';
^
Regards

Pavel