Re: enhanced error fields

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: enhanced error fields
Date: 2012-07-23 11:03:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2012/7/23 Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>:
> On 18 July 2012 19:13, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> * renamed erritem to err_generic_string
>> * fixed CSVlog generation
>> * new file /utils/error/relerror.c with axillary functions -
>> declarations are in utils/rel.h
>
> Why has this revision retained none of my editorialisations? In
> particular, none of the documentation updates that I made were
> retained.

I am sorry, I can't do merge - I try to use diff but without success,
so I did structure changes and merge with your patch postponed

> You also haven't included changes where I attempted to make very large
> ereport statements (often with verbose use of ternary conditionals)
> clearer, nor have you included my adjustments to normalise the
> appearance of new code to be consistent with existing code in various
> ways.
>
> You don't have to agree with all of those things of course, but you
> should have at least commented on them. I didn't spend time cleaning
> things up only to have those changes ignored. I'm particularly
> surprised that the documentation alterations were not retained, as you
> yourself asked me to make those revisions.

again, I am sorry - my last patch should to define structure (files) -
because it was significant topic. When we will find a agreement, then
I'll merge changes messages, comments, doc

> /* file error location */
> - if (Log_error_verbosity >= PGERROR_VERBOSE)
> +
> {
> StringInfoData msgbuf;
>

> Why have you retained the scope here? Couldn't you have just moved the
> single declaration instead?

I am not sure, I have to recheck it.

Regards

Pavel