Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: plpgsql - Assert statement
Date: 2014-11-18 12:29:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> >> What is wrong with using IF ?
> >

> > It's a hell of a lot wordier. I've previously created a more
> sophisticated
> > "assert" framework to allow more control over things, but ended up also
> > using it just for simple sanity checking because it was much nicer than
> > typeing IF THEN RAISE ERROR END IF.
>
> Why is that not a requirement for a less wordier form of IF?
>
> IF (something) THEN action

statement IF is a control statement - and syntax, pattern for control
statements in plpgsql is consistent. I don't want to break it (more,
probably it is hardly implemented due problems in bison). PL/pgSQL, PL/SQL,
Ada are well designed (in my opinion). Conditional statement has precedent
in PL/pgSQL now. We support EXIT and CONTINUE WHEN, so we don't propose a
new pattern, only reuse some existing.

Regards

Pavel