Re: Assertions in PL/PgSQL

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Khandekar <amit(dot)khandekar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Assertions in PL/PgSQL
Date: 2013-09-23 04:40:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2013/9/22 Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>

> El 21/09/2013 17:16, "Jaime Casanova" <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> escribió:

> plpgsql_curr_compile->enable_assertions is
> > >

> > > Of course it's possible. But I, as a PostgreSQL user writing PL/PgSQL
> code,
> > > would be extremely surprised if this new cool option to RAISE didn't
> work
> > > for some reason. If we use ASSERT the situation is different; most
> people
> > > will realize it's a new command and works differently from RAISE.
> > >

> > What about just adding a clause WHEN to the RAISE statement and use
> > the level machinery (client_min_messages) to make it appear or not
> > of course, this has the disadvantage that an EXCEPTION level will
> > always happen... or you can make it a new loglevel that mean EXCEPTION
> > if asserts_enabled
> >

> meaning RAISE ASSERT of course

After days I am thinking so it can be a good solution

syntax - enhanced current RAISE

RAISE ASSERT WHEN boolean expression

RAISE ASSERT 'some message' WHEN expression

and we can have a GUC that controls asserts per database - possibly
overwritten by plpgsql option - similar to current plpgsql options

assert_level = [*ignore*, notice, warning, error]

comments?

Regards

Pavel

p.s. clause WHEN can be used for other exception level - so it can be a
interesting shortcut for other use cases.