Re: [HACKERS] Re: [HACKERS] please review source(SQLServer compatible)‏

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Cc: Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)dalibo(dot)com>, rohtodeveloper <rohtodeveloper(at)outlook(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [HACKERS] please review source(SQLServer compatible)‏
Date: 2014-06-23 17:56:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)dalibo(dot)com> wrote:
> > On 06/23/2014 04:51 PM, rohtodeveloper wrote:
> >> 1.SQL statement support
> >> INSERT statement without INTO keyword
> >> DELETE statement without FROM keywork
> >
> > Why would we want this?
>
> I'm pretty sure that the only argument for it is to ease migration
> of software from other DBMS products which allow that non-standard
> syntax for people who have chosen to use the non-standard form of
> the statement instead of the standard syntax (which is also
> available in all cases that I know of).

There is a fork of PostgreSQL http://www.tpostgres.org/se/ what can do it
better this task. We doesn't support a special syntax for Oracle more, for
DB2 and I don't see any reason, why we should to do for T-SQL.

More - usually this is most simple part in migration from Sybase family to
PostgreSQL - there is totally different concept of stored procedures, temp
tables, and other so there is not possible simple migration without
relative hard changes in PostgreSQL parser.

> If the SQL standard were static, I would actually lean toward
> allowing it, to make it easier for people to switch to PostgreSQL.
> The biggest down side I see is the possibility that some future
> version of the standard might implement some new syntax which is
> more difficult to implement if we need to also support this
> non-standard variation.

yes.

Regards

Pavel