Re: patch: option --if-exists for pg_dump

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: patch: option --if-exists for pg_dump
Date: 2014-01-29 10:36:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2014-01-29 Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>

> Hi Pavel,
>
> Now the patch looks good to me. However when I try to restore your own sql
> file's dump, I get following errors:
>
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR: relation
> "public.emp" does not exist
> Command was: DROP TRIGGER IF EXISTS emp_insert_trigger ON public.emp;
>
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR: schema
> "myschema" does not exist
> Command was: DROP FUNCTION IF EXISTS myschema.int_to_date(integer);
>
> Is that expected after your patch ?

it should be fixed by
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=b152c6cd0de1827ba58756e24e18110cf902182acommit

> Also, I didn't quite understand these lines of comments:
>
> /*
> * Descriptor string (te-desc) should not be same
> as object
> * specifier for DROP STATEMENT. The DROP DEFAULT
> has not
> * IF EXISTS clause - has not sense.
> */
>
> Will you please rephrase ?

I can try it - .

A content of te->desc is usually substring of DROP STATEMENT with one
related exception - CONSTRAINT.
Independent to previous sentence - ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN DROP DEFAULT
doesn't support IF EXISTS - and therefore it should not be injected.

Regards

Pavel