Re: enhanced error fields

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: enhanced error fields
Date: 2012-12-28 19:55:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2012/12/28 Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>:
> On 28 December 2012 19:23, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> for this subject ANSI SQL is more relevant source or manual for DB2 or
>> Oracle. Design of Python and native PL languages are different. Python
>> can use complex nested structures. PL - PL/pgSQL or PL/PSM is designed
>> for work with simply scalar types. So these environments are not
>> comparable.
>
> I don't see how the fact that Python can use nested data structures
> has any bearing (you could argue that plpgsql does too, fwiw).
>
> Please direct me towards the manual of DB2 or Oracle where it says
> that something like routine_name is exposed for error handling
> purposes. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't believe that ANSI
> SQL has anything to say about any of these error fields. You've just
> lifted the names of the fields from various information_schema
> catalogs, which is hardly the same thing.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=%2Fdb2%2Frbafzmstgetdiag.htm
http://savage.net.au/SQL/sql-2003-2.bnf - GET DIAGNOSTICS statement

SQL: 1999, Jim Melton,Alan R. Simon - description of GET DIAGNOSTICS statement
ANSI SQL - Feature F122, "Enhanced diagnostics management" - table
identifier>s for use with <get diagnostics statement> - and related
description

Regards

Pavel

please, search