Re: Memory leakage associated with plperl spi_prepare/spi_freeplan

From: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Christian Schröder <cs(at)deriva(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Memory leakage associated with plperl spi_prepare/spi_freeplan
Date: 2013-03-01 04:42:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> I'm inclined to think the right fix is to make a small memory context
> for each prepared plan made by plperl_spi_prepare(). The qdesc for it
> could be made right in the context (getting rid of the unchecked
> malloc's near the top of the function), the FmgrInfos and their
> subsidiary data could live there too, and plperl_spi_freeplan could
> replace its retail free's with a single MemoryContextDelete.

Seemed fairly trivial, find the above approach in the attached. I added a
CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS() at the top of plperl_spi_prepare(), it was fairly
annoying that I couldn't ctrl+c my way out of test function.

One annonce is it still leaks :-(. I tracked it down and it seemed to stem
from parseTypeString(). I chased down the rabbit hole for a bit, but
nothing jumped out... raw_parser() is a bit of a black box to me. Adding
the seemingly obvious list_free(raw_parsetree_list); or setting the memory
context before parseTypeString() didn't seem to do much.

It would be nice to squish the other leaks due to perm_fmgr_info()... but
this is a start.

Attachment Content-Type Size
plperl_spi_leak.patch application/octet-stream 4.9 KB