Pattern matching operators a index

From: Soroosh Sardari <soroosh(dot)sardari(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Pattern matching operators a index
Date: 2013-10-09 10:24:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

I'm developing a new type for character string, like varchar. I wrote
operators for btree and so forth.
I wonder how pattern matching operators using btree index, because btree
operator class ony knows about >, >=, <=, and = operators, but operators
for pattern matching, such as LIKE, are not known for btree access method.

Now my question is:
Is Postgre using btree for pattern matching query for varchar or other
character string types?

If it does, how i implement it for my new type?

Regards,
Soroosh