Re: TODO : Allow parallel cores to be used by vacuumdb [ WIP ]

From: Laurent Laborde <kerdezixe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dilip kumar <dilip(dot)kumar(at)huawei(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jan Lentfer <Jan(dot)Lentfer(at)web(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Sawada Masahiko <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>
Subject: Re: TODO : Allow parallel cores to be used by vacuumdb [ WIP ]
Date: 2015-07-23 13:10:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 3:18 PM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Okay, I have marked this patch as "Ready For Committer"
>
> Notes for Committer -
> There is one behavioural difference in the handling of --analyze-in-stages
> switch, when individual tables (by using -t option) are analyzed by
> using this switch, patch will process (in case of concurrent jobs) all the
> given tables for stage-1 and then for stage-2 and so on whereas in the
> unpatched code it will process all the three stages table by table
> (table-1 all three stages, table-2 all three stages and so on). I think
> the new behaviour is okay as the same is done when this utility does
> vacuum for whole database. As there was no input from any committer
> on this point, I thought it is better to get the same rather than waiting
> more just for one point.

Friendly greetings !

What's the status of parallel clusterdb please ?
I'm having fun (and troubles) applying the vacuumdb patch to clusterdb.

This thread also talk about unifying code for parallelizing clusterdb and
reindex.
Was anything done about it ? Because i can't see it and my work currently
involve a lot of copy/pasting from vacuumdb to clusterdb :)

And no, (i'm pretty sure) i don't have the required postgresql knowledge to
do this unification if it isn't done already.

Thank you :)

(And sorry about the thread-necromancy)

--
Laurent "ker2x" Laborde