Re: pg_upgrade

From: Tory M Blue <tmblue(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON, CA)" <bnicholson(at)hp(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade
Date: 2011-12-05 23:25:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> If you look in a 9.0+ tablespace directory, you will see that each
> cluster has its own subdirectory:
>
>        test=> create tablespace tb1 location '/u/pg/tb1';
>        CREATE TABLESPACE
>        test=> \q
>        $ lf /u/pg/tb1
>        PG_9.2_201111231/
>
> That means if I upgrade to 9.3, there will be another subdirectory for
> 9.3, _inside_ the same tablespace location.  This change was added in
> Postgres 9.0 to allow for upgrades without having to move tablespaces.
>
> Now, since you are upgrading from 8.4, and don't have a subdirectory,
> the 9.1 cluster will be created inside the tablespace directory, so it
> will look like:
>
>        323234/ 423411/ 932323/ PG_9.1_201105231/
>                                ----------------
>
> I realize that is kind of confusing, but it works just fine, and
> pg_upgrade will provide you with a script to delete the old cluster, and
> its subdirectories, when you are ready.
>
> I hope this helps clarify things.

Well I could see the PG_9.1 or whatever directory being created,
however I would still get a fail. Once I modified the internal
tablespace path and the filesystem symlink, it worked just fine.
Having to create 6-10 symlinks is kind of cruddy and altering the
paths (although that is not bad). But it's working.

So I at least have a method to make this work :)

Tory