Re: ISN was: Core Extensions relocation

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ISN was: Core Extensions relocation
Date: 2011-11-17 03:04:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 17 November 2011 02:32, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

>> (I'm a bit concerned about the angle that the code has some smarts
>> currently about where to put hyphens in output.  If we rip that out
>> it could definitely break application code, whereas dropping a check
>> shouldn't.)
>
> Right.  Do we need to dump the hyphen logic?

Only if you think that it's better to have something that covers many
cases but is basically broke. Perhaps it's different for code that is
already committed, but in the case of new submissions it tends to be
better to have something that is limited in a well-understood way
rather than less limited in a way that is unpredictable or difficult
to reason about.