Re: rows estimate in explain analyze for the BRIN index

From: Emre Hasegeli <emre(at)hasegeli(dot)com>
To: Oleksii Kliukin <alexk(at)hintbits(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Álvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: rows estimate in explain analyze for the BRIN index
Date: 2015-12-30 17:38:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> which is much closer to the actual number of rows removed by the index
> recheck + the one left.

Is it better to be closer? We are saying those are the "actual"
values not the estimates. If we cannot provide the actual rows, I
think it is better to provide nothing. Something closer to the
reality would create more confusion. Maybe, we just just return the
number of blocks, and put somewhere a note about it. The actual row
count is already available on the upper part of the plan.

By the way, the estimation is a bigger problem than that. Please see
my patch [1] about it.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAE2gYzzJvzPy-1cSgZjJyH69izSa13SEgFC4i4r2z0qBQ2P8Uw@mail.gmail.com