Re: Custom Scan APIs (Re: Custom Plan node)

From: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Mlodgenski <jimmy76(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Custom Scan APIs (Re: Custom Plan node)
Date: 2014-03-02 02:36:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
>> * Kouhei Kaigai (kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com) wrote:
>>> IIUC, his approach was integration of join-pushdown within FDW APIs,
>>> however, it does not mean the idea of remote-join is rejected.
>>
>> For my part, trying to consider doing remote joins *without* going
>> through FDWs is just nonsensical.
>
> That is, of course, true by definition, but I think it's putting the
> focus in the wrong place. It's possible that there are other cases
> when a scan might a plausible path for a joinrel even if there are no
> foreign tables in play. For example, you could cache the joinrel
> output and then inject a cache scan as a path for the joinrel.

That might be an idea to demonstrate usage of custom-scan node,
rather than the (ad-hoc) enhancement of postgres_fdw.
As I have discussed in another thread, it is available to switch heap
reference by cache reference on the fly, it shall be a possible use-
case for custom-scan node.

So, I'm inclined to drop the portion for postgres_fdw in my submission
to focus on custom-scan capability.

Thanks,