Re: Future of our regular expression code

From: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Future of our regular expression code
Date: 2012-02-19 22:51:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 19 February 2012 15:49, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> That sounds great.
>
> BTW, if you don't have it already, I'd highly recommend getting a copy
> of Friedl's "Mastering Regular Expressions".  It's aimed at users not
> implementers, but there is a wealth of valuable context information in
> there, as well as a really good not-too-technical overview of typical
> implementation techniques for RE engines.  You'd probably still want one
> of the more academic presentations such as the dragon book for
> reference, but I think Freidl's take on it is extremely useful.

Thanks for the recommendations Tom. I've now got Friedl, and there's
a dead-tree copy of 'Compilers' making its gradual way to me (no
ebook).
I've also been reading the article series by Russ Cox linked upthread
-- it's good stuff.

Are you far enough into the backrefs bug that you'd prefer to see it
through, or would you like me to pick it up?

Cheers,
BJ