Re: Using pg_rewind for differential backup

From: Sameer Kumar <sameer(dot)kumar(at)ashnik(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Using pg_rewind for differential backup
Date: 2014-12-03 15:23:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 1:32 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 2:49 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
> > It also would be quite straightforward to write a separate tool to do
> just
> > that. Would be better than conflating pg_rewind with this. You could use
> > pg_rewind as the basis for it - it's under the same license as
> PostgreSQL.
>
> ​Agree. I would want to work on that.​

> If we had such a tool in core, would that completely solve the
> differential backup problem, or would more be needed?

​In my opinion​ yes.

> ​This discussion is not really adapted on hackers as pg_rewind is not
> included in Postgres core code. Please let's discuss your proposal there.​

​Got it​. But given the above, can we keep this discussion thread here?

Best Regards,

*Sameer Kumar | Database Consultant*

*ASHNIK PTE. LTD.*

101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069533

M: *+65 8110 0350* T: +65 6438 3504 | www.ashnik.com

*[image: icons]*

[image: Email patch] <http://www.ashnik.com/>

This email may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material and
is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).